Environmental Planning Director - Gulf Coast
Company: SWCA Environmental Consultants
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Environmental Planning Director - Gulf Coast
# of Openings
US-TX-Houston - US-TX - US-LA-Baton Rouge
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking an Environmental Planning
Director to lead the growth and expansion of our Planning and NEPA
team in the Gulf Coast subregion. This position requires technical
expertise in NEPA compliance, with a specific focus federal
environmental permit authorization for Oil and Gas Projects that
require NEPA compliance (including FERC, DOE, USACE, and
USCG/MARAD), and Federal Grant Programs (including FEMA, HUD/CDBG,
CPRA, and NRCS disaster recovery and mitigation grant programs;
along with the ability to lead experts and team members across the
planning discipline to consistently produce work of superior
quality. Previous experience with managing NEPA compliance projects
for TxDOT and LaDOTD projects is also highly preferred. This
position also requires excellent leadership skills to successfully
manage the execution of project work, cultivate our business
development processes, deliver for our clients, and build an
exceptional planning team. The Gulf Coast Planning Director will
report to the Vice President of the Gulf Coast subregion. This is a
regular, full-time, salaried position with compensation based on
individual qualifications and experience. This position can be
based in any SWCA Houston, Texas office (or Baton Rouge,
Louisiana). Highly qualified, remote candidates will also be
seriously considered. When it comes to SWCA's natural resources,
cultural resources and planning practices, the Gulf Coast subregion
is an area of excellence renowned for the quality of our work,
commitment to our clients, and unparalleled team of professionals.
We continuously strive to be the premier environmental consultancy
in this market by offering a work environment that promotes
employee engagement and development. The successful candidate will
coordinate closely with peers across the South Region and
throughout the company. This position offers a unique opportunity
for team leadership and professional development in this dynamic
market. Candidates must submit a brief letter of interest with
their application that describes their vision for this position.
Note: Applications are due by November 10th, 2023
What you will accomplish
People Leadership (35% of workload):
- Lead the growth and expansion of our
Planning and NEPA team in Gulf Coast subregion.
- Identify gaps in planning resources expertise, identify and
attract top talent to SWCA, and advocate for strategic hires when
- Support career mobility and growth within SWCA through active
coaching and mentorship of team members.
- Promote a culture of leadership, teamwork, engagement,
high-quality service, and client satisfaction.
- Directly manage principal, lead, and project-level staff.
- Drive engagement of the team by recognizing high performance
and implementing approaches that build and sustain high levels of
- Connect with staff, peers, and senior management by leading
regular staff meetings, brown bags, and trainings and contributing
to regular regional and national leadership meetings.
- Facilitate collaboration with other Natural Resources and
Planning teams across the company, and among the planning and
cultural resource teams.
- Participate in setting business goals for the office.
- Cascade objectives through the organization to align local
efforts and regional/national goals.
- Manage resource allocation and coordinate across SWCA to enable
successful project delivery. Technical Leadership (30% of workload)
- Take responsibility for implementing SWCA Quality Control
Procedures within the Gulf Coast Planning Program. Ensure that the
program meets its commitments to quality and create an environment
of accountability for meeting agreed-upon expectations through the
use of tools and controls, such as quality audits.
- Create and ensure the use of a process to systematically gather
and apply lessons learned on technical performance across
- Create a culture where experimenting to find new solutions is
valued and supported.
- Support the execution of work by managing projects and
contracts, as well as providing senior-level technical leadership
and support. Develop and approve research designs.
- Leverage experts effectively, engaging the right talent to
achieve project objectives.
- Ensure that the planning program has the space, tools, and
research aids that it needs, including reference libraries,
subscriptions, and field gear.
- Stay current on relevant regulations and communicate changes
and trends to staff and clients.
- Coordinate with the nationwide NEPA Technical Director,
Practice Group Champions, and the Practice Group in general to
advance local and nationwide technical needs and initiatives.
- Ensure that the work of each unit of the planning program,
including operations and maintenance programs with streamlined
regulatory environments (e.g., oil and gas, electric transmission
and disaster recovery business lines), is executed in complementary
and coordinated ways. Establish systems and programs to produce
- Represent the Gulf Coast subregion in regional and national
conversations concerning NEPA, planning, and policy. Client and
Market Leadership (25% of workload)
- Maintain and generate awareness of market and industry trends,
particularly the latest regulatory changes or technical advances,
that impact the business through news sources, event attendance,
and using your professional network. Build SWCA's brand as a
thought leader in the science of environmental consulting.
- Identify new technically focused opportunities to diversify the
business, contribute to go/no-go analyses and lead teams (or act as
leading technical contributor) in their pursuit. Provide senior
review of proposals.
- Contribute to the growth and maintenance of client
relationships, both locally and regionally. Financial Leadership
(10% of workload)
- Contribute to the development and management of the operational
budget, particularly with regards to tools and trainings needed to
accomplish program goals and ensure that budget objectives are
achieved throughout the year through tracking and sound financial
- Ensure appropriate level of review and approval of proposals,
contracts, budgets, and expenditures through mastery of and
adherence to the SWCA approvals matrix.
- Monitor financial KPIs and redirect efforts as needed (e.g.,
productivity/utilization, multipliers, overruns, sales, etc.).
- Work with Project Controls to conduct quality audits of
projects within area of responsibility to ensure that projects are
on track, risks are mitigated, and issues are escalated and
- Facilitate communication between project managers, project
controls, and accounts receivable.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Graduate degree in planning, environmental studies,
environmental management, or a field related to SWCA's planning
services is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in NEPA. Experience should
include leading teams, office work, and report completion, as well
as reviews of technical work products, and scheduling and budgeting
- Expert-level experience in NEPA compliance, with a specific
focus federal environmental permit authorization for Oil and Gas
Projects that require NEPA compliance (including FERC, DOE, USACE,
and USCG/MARAD), and Federal Grant Programs (including FEMA,
HUD/CDBG, CPRA, and NRCS disaster recovery and mitigation grant
- Working knowledge of the Gulf Coast market and deep familiarity
with its resources is preferred.
- Experience in the electric transmission and transportation
(TxDOT and LaDOTD) planning processes is preferred.
- Expert-level understanding of federal, state, and local
regulations relevant to NEPA and environmental permitting in Gulf
- Demonstrated success mentoring, developing, and coaching
- Extensive experience building and maintaining strong
partnerships, both internal and external.
- Strong client-facing skills (e.g., communication, relationship
building, problem solving).
- Proven record of developing new business and leading major
proposal efforts. Why Work at SWCA: SWCA Environmental Consultants
is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of
environmental services. Our Vision (the North Star) is to make SWCA
the best workplace and industry leader in sustainability, bringing
sound science and creative solutions to global environmental
challenges while maintaining a dedication to employee-ownership. We
live our core values: we collaborate as #OneSWCA; we are
#AlwaysLearning, we #NeverSettle, and we #GiveBack. We are 100%
employee-owned, and we build our success together. With offices
across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental
compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200
Environmental Firms. We offer a supportive, team-oriented work
environment and competitive wages and benefits, including an 100%
employee stock ownership plan (retirement). At SWCA, we support our
team members in developing their careers to make them leaders in
their industry. Our Career Landscape initiative is a process and
guide designed to help develop chart rewarding career paths for
employees at SWCA. We encourage professional conference attendance,
internal and external professional development and training
programs, education reimbursement, a Science and Leadership
Program, and bonuses for publications meeting certain criteria. All
regular status employees are eligible to participate in SWCA
medical, dental, vision, employee assistance, wellness, life and
disability plans, and are eligible to participate in the SWCA
401(k) Profit Sharing Plan and Trust. If you would like to contact
SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance
completing the online application process due to a disability,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-480-581-5378. This
contact information is for disability accommodation requests only.
All other inquiries will not receive a response. EOE - women,
minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are
encouraged to apply. SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary
transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this
commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised
job postings to promote pay equity and transparency. An employee in
this Houston, TX-based position can expect an annual salary of
$123,396.00 - $161,616.00/year. Actual pay within this range may
depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client
requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law.
Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses.
Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA's Total Rewards
package, which includes a competitive Benefits package,
forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate
culture, award-winning career development, and more. #ind-swca
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: SWCA Environmental Consultants, Baton Rouge , Environmental Planning Director - Gulf Coast, Accounting, Auditing , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!