IT Manager (6885)
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: October 11, 2018
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary: This is a dynamic and technical leadership role that not only manages a team of IT professionals operationally, but of owns the technology stacks, service delivery models, and agile delivery practices that help the team create valuable, high quality capabilities for our customers.
This Manager position will be supporting the Starmount Life business, and will be responsible for value stream delivery. This role will manage 10-12 people across two scrum teams. The teams would include scrum masters, software engineers, business analysts, and test engineers.
This position is based in Baton Rouge, LA. Relocation services will be provided.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Achieving the software/solutions/services delivery commitments of the team
- Maximizing the effectiveness of the team and takes actions to increase performance and effectiveness of the team. Which includes developing, mentoring and coaching team members. The role promotes and facilitates the professional development of team members and ensures plans are in place to elevate the performance of the team.
- May serve in a Scrum Master role for an agile team
- For Agile teams, works with business partners and team to translate the business strategy or roadmap into backlog items
- Responsible for ensuring that the agile team(s) apply best of breed software engineering practices including but not limited to Test Driven Development, Peer Reviews, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment practices, unit and regression test automation, comprehensive approach to addressing NFR, adherence to standards, comprehensive Definition of Done, team retrospectives, etc.
- Using Agile metrics and tools to understand team performance and efficiency and takes actions to improve the efficiency of the team.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of a broad range of emerging technology trends and identifies opportunities where technology might be deployed to deliver business improvements and competitive advantage. Qualifications
- Bachelor s degree in computer science or relevant technical experience.
- 5+ years experience in an IT field or equivalent relevant work experience
- Experience leading IT Teams of 6+ professionals (direct and/or indirect reports)
- Understanding of Agile/Lean leadership principles; proficient in agile team development as well as awareness of team training opportunities.
- Ability to effectively coach, mentor, and identify and address skills needs and gaps
- Ability to think critically and challenge conventional thinking Technical Requirements:
Based on the focus of these agile delivery teams, knowledge and experience with one or more of the following technologies is preferred:
- Expert at .NET development across Web, Web API, and mobile platforms
- Expert at Microsoft SQL ETL query development and query optimizations
- Experienced in DevOps practices for a future evolution toward continuous integration
- Proficient at scheduling software deployments using Microsoft Release Management Client tool
- Proficient at managing user accounts for TFS (source control)
- Proficient at Microsoft Test Manager in order to validate the test engineer s work on the scrum team
- Proficient at Agile Central software and have familiarity with ServiceNow to help manage expectations around scrum team deliverables.
- Familiarity with WorkDay to perform employee performance management and other related team management functions.Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task
Keywords: Unum, Baton Rouge , IT Manager (6885), Executive , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!