Night Pharmacist - Inpatient Pharmacy
Company: Baton Rouge General Medical Center
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: January 24, 2023
JOB PURPOSE OR MISSION: Fills orders for drugs, monitors patient
drug therapies and provides drug information; supervises and
directs supportive personnel. Job is performed appropriately for
the age population served, as defined in the department's scope of
CRITERIA A: Everyday Excellence Values - Employee demonstrates
Everyday Excellence values in the day-to-day performance of their
- Demonstrates courtesy and caring to each other, patients and
their families, physicians, and the community.
- Takes initiative in living our Everyday Excellence values and
- Takes initiative in identifying customer needs before the
- Participates in teamwork willingly and with enthusiasm.
- Demonstrates respect for the dignity and privacy needs of
customers through personal action and attention to the environment
- Keeps customers informed, answers customer questions and
anticipates information needs of customers.
CRITERIA B: Corporate Compliance - Employee demonstrates commitment
to the Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest Guidelines, and the
GHS Corporate Compliance Guidelines.
- Practices diligence in fulfilling the regulatory and legal
requirements of the position and department.
- Maintains accurate and reliable patient/organizational
- Maintains professional relationships with appropriate
officials; communicates honesty and completely; behaves in a fair
and nondiscriminatory manner in all professional contacts.
CRITERIA C: Personal Achievement - Employee demonstrates initiative
in achieving work goals and meeting personal objectives.
- Uses accepted procedures and practices to complete assignments.
Uses creative and proactive solutions to achieve objectives even
when workload and demands are high.
- Adheres to high moral principles of honesty, loyalty,
sincerity, and fairness.
- Upholds the ethical standards of the organization.
CRITERIA D: Performance Improvement - Employee actively
participates in Performance Improvement activities and incorporates
quality improvement standards in his/her job performance.
- Optimizes talents, skills, and abilities in achieving
excellence in meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
- Initiates or redesigns to continuously improve work
- Contributes ideas and suggestions to improve approaches to work
- Willingly participates in organization and/or department
CRITERIA E: Cost Management - Employee demonstrates effective cost
- Effectively manages time and resources
- Makes conscious effort to effectively utilize the resources of
the organization - material, human, and financial.
- Consistently looks for and uses resource saving processes
CRITERIA F: Patient & Employee Safety - Employee actively
participates in and demonstrates effective patient and employee
- Employee effectively communicates, demonstrates, coordinates
and emphasizes patient and employee safety.
- Employee proactively reports errors, potential errors, injuries
or potential injuries.
- Employee demonstrates departmental specific patient and
employee safety standards at all times.
- Employee demonstrates the use of proper safety techniques,
equipment and devices and follows safety policies, procedures and
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
1. Prepares and dispenses drug orders per physician request
according to established policies, procedures and protocols.
- Interprets drug orders (verbal, electronic and written) and
transcribes to computerized patient medication profiles
- Reviews and verifies all medication orders and contacts
physicians / prescribers when questions arise.
- Maintains accurate, complete pharmacy patient medication
- Compounds sterile products, chemotherapy and parenteral
nutrition products accurately in accordance with USP .
- Compounds non-sterile products accurately and in accordance
with USP .
- Issues controlled substances to patient care areas and
maintains records as required by law.
- Ensures safe, appropriate, cost effective drug therapies for
patients according to established policies, procedures and
- Monitors drug therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug
interactions, drug-food interactions, allergies and appropriateness
of drug and dose.
- Reads, extracts and interprets information in patient charts
- Detects and reports suspected adverse drug reactions accurately
and in a timely manner.
- Provides clinical consultation and clarification to
practitioners, suggests appropriate cost-effective therapeutic
alternatives to medical staff as needed.
- Documents all clinical activities and interventions accurately
- Participates in the quality improvement and medication use
review activities of the department; collects data, conducts
monitors and inspections and maintains logs, records and other
documentation as assigned.
3. Contributes to the quality and effective operation of the
department through supervision of pharmacy support personnel.
- Verifies the daily activities of pharmacy technicians and
participates in performance appraisal of pharmacy support
- Ensures pharmacy services are provided in a timely manner
through organization and prioritizing work assignments; works
independently with minimal supervision.
- Completes all assigned medication storage area inspections in a
timely manner and identifies and replaces outdated and unusable
- Professionally answers the telephone and requests at the
4. Maintains competency required for current job title/position
- Maintains current Louisiana pharmacist license; ensures
applicable CE records and licensure are maintained in department
- Attends pharmacy staff meetings or read and signs
acknowledgement of the minutes.
- Attends orientation, education and training programs; reviews
literature and other materials pertinent to the practice of
- Completes all competency/skills assessment requirements.
- 5. Performs all other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Hospital experience preferred.
SPECIFIC EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
BS Pharmacy or PharmD
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Current Louisiana license
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable HIPAA
regulations appropriate to Job Position including but not limited
to: Medical records without limitation both paper and electronic,
patient demographics, lab and radiology results, patient
information related to surgery or appointment schedules, medical
records related to quality/data, patient financial information and
3rd party billing, information related to patient location,
religious beliefs, research information, public health records,
employee prescriptions, and/or investigatory information.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable safety
practices appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to:
Incident reporting, handling of wastes, sharps and linen, PPE,
exposure control plans, hand washing, environment of care, patient
identification, receives meds and/or orders.
Keywords: Baton Rouge General Medical Center, Baton Rouge , Night Pharmacist - Inpatient Pharmacy, Healthcare , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!