Radiology Technologist- Operating Room- Day Shift
Company: Baton Rouge General Medical Center
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: January 24, 2023
JOB PURPOSE OR MISSION: To perform radiographic exams to include
all modalities covered under the staff radiographer's license. To
monitor and evaluate patient care quality and efficiency as part of
a multi-disciplinary team and appropriate for the age population
served, as defined in the department's scope of service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
1. Provides technical skills for the operating functions of the
- Works with other patient care personnel in the facility to
improve service delivery.
- Encourages and facilitates open communication within department
to identify and resolve problems.
- Functions as departmental resource and ensures effective
communication on exam charges, through advanced knowledge of
- Maintains knowledge of PACS and computer systems.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of the principles and
theories of advanced technical procedures, and serves as a resource
by sharing knowledge on technical issues.
- Coordinates all patient care activities in assigned treatment
- Ensures that patient scheduling, treatment, record keeping,
calculations, and machine functions are maintained at an optimal
2. Performs radiologic procedures in accordance with unit-based
standards of practice.
- Moves X-ray equipment into specified position and adjusts
equipment controls to set exposure factors, such as time and
- Demonstrates effective knowledge of radiographic exposure
techniques and protocols.
- Transfers, positions and instructs patients regarding the
- Consistently produces images of high technical quality.
- Positions patients and operates equipment to produce most
reliable and informational data.
- Transports patient to radiographic room; prepares and maintains
room following BRGMC Safety Guidelines.
- Obtains optimum views of specific areas of the body while
maintaining patient safety and comfort.
- Assesses data reflective of each patient's status and
interprets information needed in order to identify each patient's
age requirements relative to his or her age specific health care
- Utilizes advanced knowledge to perform procedures across
modalities and in unusual situations.
- Performs diagnostic radiographic procedures.
- Corroborates patient's clinical history with procedure,
assuring that the proper procedure has been ordered.
- Prepares patient for procedure(s); providing instructions to
obtain desired results, gain cooperation and minimize anxiety.
- Applies principles of radiation protection to minimize risks to
patient, self, and others.
- Selects and operates radiography equipment, imaging and/or
associated accessories to successfully perform procedures.
- Positions patient to best demonstrate anatomic area of
interest, respecting patient ability and comfort.
- Practices aseptic techniques as necessary.
- Evaluates images for technical quality, manipulates display
parameters, and prepares patient record in electronic chart.
- Assumes responsibility for assigned area and reports equipment
- Coordinates ordering of supplies for area of
- Ensures all necessary lab work has been completed and meets
Radiologists established protocols.
- Ensures the physician has completed all areas of the hospital
approved informed consent forms.
- In agreement with state statue(s) and/or where institutional
policy permits. Prepares, identifies, and/or administers contrast
media and/or medications as prescribed by a licensed
- Demonstrates courtesy and caring to other staff, patients, and
- Requires extensive contact and the ability to communicate
effectively with staff radiologists, other physicians and their
staff, co-workers, and patients.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Completes all hospital required education on time and makes
sure employees do as well.
- Maintains all licensure and CPR in good standing and makes sure
employees do as well.
- Ensures the area is regulatory ready at all times (Joint
Commission, DEQ, CMS, ACR, FDA, MQSA, etc.)
- Promptly and courteously answers the telephone and receives
guests using AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation,
and Thank you)
3. Demonstrates correct and safe operation of radiographic
- Demonstrates compliance with radiation safety procedures -
correctly shields patient/techs/visitors.
- Correctly uses monitoring devices.
- Complies with room technique.
- Demonstrates correct preparation and use of contrast media
(Oral contrast, IV administration, Lower GI contrast, Retrograde
4. Practices effective communication that enhances teamwork and
quality of care.
- Explains procedures to patient to reduce anxiety and obtain
- Recognizes adverse reactions and responds appropriately through
action and communication with other staff and physicians.
- Demonstrates age specific care awareness by communicating at
appropriate level of complexity and word choice for the age of
patient undergoing procedure.
5. Provides direct or indirect supervision or training for
radiologic technology students.
- Demonstrates radiographic examinations in accordance with
policies established by the School of Radiologic Technology.
- Assures that all student radiographic examinations are
performed in accordance with department policy and procedure.
- Works with School of Radiologic Technology staff to assure all
student radiographic examinations are of high technical
6. Performs additional duties as required
1-2 years experience as a radiographer, preferred.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable HIPAA
regulations appropriate to Job Position including but not limited
to: Medical records w/o limitation both paper and electronic,
patient demographics, lab and radiology results, patient
information related to surgery or appointment schedules,
information related to patient location, religious beliefs and/or
public health records, medical records related to quality/data,
patient financial information and/or 3rd party billing,
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable safety
practices appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to:
Incident reporting, handling of wastes, sharps and linen, PPE,
exposure control plans, hand washing, environment of care, patient
identification, administers/receives/collects meds/blood, orders or
products, validates, transports, monitors or observes patients for
procedures including infusion pumps, monitors clinical alarms for
PHYSICAL DEMANDS- Reference DOT 078.362-026 - RADIOLOGIC
TECHNOLOGIST (medical serv.) alternate titles: radiographer; x-ray
technologist - STRENGTH: L - Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds
of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently,
and/or a negligible amount of force constantly (Constantly:
activity or condition exits 2/3 or more of the time) to move
objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for
Sedentary Work. Even though the weight lifted may be only a
negligible amount, a job should be rated Light Work: (1) when it
requires walking or standing to a significant degree; or (2) when
it requires sitting most of the time but entails pushing and/or
pulling or far or leg controls; and/or (3) when the job requires
working at a production rate pace entailing the constant pushing
and/or pulling of materials even though the weight of those
materials is negligible. NOTE: The constant stress and strain of
maintaining a production rate pace, especially in an industrial
setting, can be and is physically demanding of a worker even though
the amount of force exerted is negligible.
Bachelors in health related field preferred
Graduate of an accredited radiography program or equivalent
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Must be registered by the American Registry of Radiologic
Technologists and hold a current LA state license to perform in the
capacity of radiographer.
Keywords: Baton Rouge General Medical Center, Baton Rouge , Radiology Technologist- Operating Room- Day Shift, Healthcare , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!