Medical Office Specialist- Call Center
Company: Baton Rouge General Medical Center
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: January 25, 2023
JOB PURPOSE OR MISSION: Performs administrative and clerical
duties within a clinic setting.
CRITERIA A: Everyday Excellence Values - Employee demonstrates
Everyday Excellence values in the day-to-day performance of their
* Demonstrates courtesy and caring to each other, patients and
their families, physicians, and the community.
* Takes initiative in living our Everyday Excellence values and
* Takes initiative in identifying customer needs before the
* Participates in teamwork willingly and with enthusiasm.
* Demonstrates respect for the dignity and privacy needs of
customers through personal action and attention to the environment
* Keeps customers informed, answers customer questions and
anticipates information needs of customers.
CRITERIA B: Corporate Compliance - Employee demonstrates commitment
to the Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest Guidelines, and the
GHS Corporate Compliance Guidelines.
* Practices diligence in fulfilling the regulatory and legal
requirements of the position and department.
* Maintains accurate and reliable patient/organizational
* Maintains professional relationships with appropriate officials;
communicates honesty and completely; behaves in a fair and
nondiscriminatory manner in all professional contacts.
CRITERIA C: Personal Achievement - Employee demonstrates initiative
in achieving work goals and meeting personal objectives.
* Uses accepted procedures and practices to complete assignments.
Uses creative and proactive solutions to achieve objectives even
when workload and demands are high.
* Adheres to high moral principles of honesty, loyalty, sincerity,
* Upholds the ethical standards of the organization.
CRITERIA D: Performance Improvement - Employee actively
participates in Performance Improvement activities and incorporates
quality improvement standards in his/her job performance.
* Optimizes talents, skills, and abilities in achieving excellence
in meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
* Initiates or redesigns to continuously improve work
* Contributes ideas and suggestions to improve approaches to work
* Willingly participates in organization and/or department quality
CRITERIA E: Cost Management - Employee demonstrates effective cost
* Effectively manages time and resources
* Makes conscious effort to effectively utilize the resources of
the organization - material, human, and financial.
* Consistently looks for and uses resource saving processes.
CRITERIA F: Patient & Employee Safety - Employee actively
participates in and demonstrates effective patient and employee
* Employee effectively communicates, demonstrates, coordinates and
emphasizes patient and employee safety.
* Employee proactively reports errors, potential errors, injuries
or potential injuries.
* Employee demonstrates departmental specific patient and employee
safety standards at all times.
* Employee demonstrates the use of proper safety techniques,
equipment and devices and follows safety policies, procedures and
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
1. Answers telephone, greets visitors and schedules
* Courteously and professionally greets guests/answers phone calls
and handles appropriately according to clinic protocols.
* Maintains master scheduling program for all areas and makes
appointment schedules for all patients, via computer system
according to established procedures.
* Coordinates transportation needs of patients as needed.
* Coordinates insurance coverage with patients, insurance company,
and Business Office as indicated.
* Communicates special patient needs to appropriate staff.
2. Enters patient charges, completes chart maintenance and provides
a variety of clerical support functions.
* Enters charges accurately on the same day it is incurred.
* Coordinates charge data functions according to established
* Types and proofs a variety of material (e.g., letters, forms,
reports, etc.) from rough draft and corrected copies.
* Maintains accurate and current files of all patient records,
correspondence, reports, and information, as required.
* Forwards completed discharged charts to Medical Records according
to established procedures.
* Prepares patient folders and files patient information
appropriately, copies charts as approved by Medical Records, faxes
and files a variety of materials.
* Mails patient evaluations, progress notes, prescriptions, etc.,
and follows-up on all correspondence within defined time lines.
3. Performs billing functions to ensure proper billing and
* Identifies and records required billing information according to
insurance carrier requirements with 100% accuracy.
* Completes billing information accurately.
* Processes claims electronically with 100% accuracy and mails
claims to insurance carriers daily.
* Enters documentation and adjustments through computer system to
maintain a correct account balance.
* Updates system information daily according to correspondence
received and processed.
* Documents any changes on a daily basis and submits information to
* Seeks clear directions to resolve issues and bring problems to a
4. Reviews and identifies charge discrepancies and completes
requests for rebilling from inter-department personnel.
* Reviews charge summaries on each patient bill that is produced
and identifies discrepancies.
* Completes rebilling within 10 days according to established
* Manually documents rebilling log upon completion with 100%
5. Prepares daily production reports, maintains required records,
reports, and files while evaluating account information.
* Monitors number of accounts and outstanding balances within three
days of receiving report.
* Consistently applies appropriate procedures to prevent accounts
from becoming delinquent or remaining unbilled.
* Initiates appropriate follow-up.
6. Performs all other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Sufficient prior experience with billing, scheduling and general
office responsibilities in a clinic setting.
SPECIFIC EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
High School Diploma preferred, post-high school
vocational/specialized training encouraged.
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum typing skills of 45 wpm, ten key by touch, data entry
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable HIPAA
regulations appropriate to Job Position.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable safety
practices appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to:
incident reporting, handling wastes, sharps and linens, PPE,
exposure control plan, hand washing, and environmental round to
Medical Office Specialist
Keywords: Baton Rouge General Medical Center, Baton Rouge , Medical Office Specialist- Call Center, Healthcare , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!