Mental Health Tech II - Psych Services PM
Company: Baton Rouge General Medical Center
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: January 26, 2023
JOB PURPOSE OR MISSION: Works collaboratively with and under the
direct supervision of a registered nurse to participate in the
delivery of patient care for the improvement of quality of life for
patients and families. Performs routine and assigned tasks in the
treatment facility and provides assistance to the nurse with
patient care activities within the scope of training and
experience. Maintains a safe and therapeutic environment and offers
and assists in control of patients who exhibit unacceptable
behavior. Job is performed appropriately for the age population
served, as defined in the department's scope of service.
CRITERIA A: Everyday Excellence Values - Employee demonstrates the
Everyday Excellence values in the day-to-day performance of their
* Demonstrates courtesy and caring to each other, patients and
their families, physicians, and the community.
* Takes initiative in living our Everyday Excellence values and
* Takes initiative in identifying customer needs before the
* Participates in teamwork willingly and with enthusiasm.
* Demonstrates respect for the dignity and privacy needs of
customers through personal action and attention t the environment
* Keeps customers informed, answers customer questions and
anticipates information needs of customers.
CRITERIA B: Corporate Compliance - Employee demonstrates commitment
to the Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest Guidelines, and the
GHS Corporate Compliance Guidelines.
* Practices diligence in fulfilling the regulatory and legal
requirements of the position and department.
* Maintains accurate and reliable patient/organizational
* Maintains professional relationships with appropriate officials;
communicates honesty and completely; behaves in a fair and
nondiscriminatory manner in all professional contacts.
CRITERIA C: Personal Achievement - Employee demonstrates initiative
in achieving work goals and meeting personal objectives.
* Uses accepted procedures and practices to complete
* Uses creative and proactive solutions to achieve objectives even
when workload and demands are high.
* Adheres to high moral principles of honesty, loyalty, sincerity,
* Upholds the ethical standards of the organization.
CRITERIA D: Performance Improvement - Employee actively
participates in Performance Improvement activities and incorporates
quality improvement standards in his/her job performance.
* Optimizes talents, skills, and abilities in achieving excellence
in meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
* Initiates or redesigns to continuously improve work
* Contributes ideas and suggestions to improve approaches to work
* Willingly participates in organization and/or department quality
CRITERIA E: Cost Management - Employee demonstrates effective cost
* Effectively manages time and resources
* Makes conscious effort to effectively utilize the resources of
the organization - material, human, and financial.
* Consistently looks for and uses resource saving processes.
CRITERIA F: Patient & Employee Safety - Employee actively
participates in and demonstrates effective patient and employee
* Employee effectively communicates, demonstrates, coordinates and
emphasizes patient and employee safety.
* Employee proactively reports errors, potential errors, injuries
or potential injuries.
* Employee demonstrates departmental specific patient and employee
safety standards at all times.
* Employee demonstrates the use of proper safety techniques,
equipment and devices and follows safety policies, procedures and
1. Demonstrates teamwork that enhances the effective operation of
* Performs routine and assigned tasks within the nursing units
completely and within time frames, as directed by RN.
* Delivers care that meets or exceeds department standards when
assisting nurses with patient care tasks and activities that are
within the scope of training and experience.
* Assists with patient ADL's as assigned/indicated.
2. Provides direct patient care and assists the nursing staff with
* Reports changes in the patient's condition, in a timely and
accurate manner, to the patient's primary nurse.
* Assists with the collection and transport of specimens in
accordance with the universal precaution policy.
Performs waste removal from all areas of the patient care unit,
including hazardous and non-hazardous waste.
* Ensures patient safety by adhering to BRGMC Safety Policy
guidelines, 100% of the time.
* Assists in patient transport.
* Actively participates in maintaining the cleanliness of the
patient care environment.
* Assists with the admission and discharge of patients to the
* Performs effectively in emergency response situation in
accordance with BRGMC Code Policy.
* Follows BRGMC/BHU policies and procedures related to the
operation and maintenance of equipment.
* Demonstrates flexibility with staffing, scheduling, and
assignment changes as needed.
3. Maintains safe and therapeutic environment/milieu through
patient monitoring as designated by RN/Physician.
* Continually monitors compliance with unit rules, conducts
environmental safety checks/security rounds.
* Provides assistance with security and effectively applies
supportive behavior when assisting in the control of patients who
exhibit unacceptable behavior.
* Recognizes the impact of negative behavior group contagion and
demonstrates the ability to employ de-escalation and therapeutic
interventions as needed.
4. Enters documentation on patient records.
* Documents patient's departure from unit (i.e., for passes,
transport to doctor's appointments, community meetings) with 100%
accuracy and within defined time lines.
* Documents significant occurrences, observed behavior, vital signs
and close observation findings on assigned patients and as
requested by the registered nurse, with 100% accuracy and within
defined time lines.
5. Performs all other duties as assigned.
* Accompanies patients to designated hospital areas for
tests/procedures as assigned.
3 months in a healthcare setting desired, and 2 years working
experience preferred. Education in mental health related field may
be substituted for experience.
High school graduate or GED preferred. Certificate of attendance at
an approved nursing assistant/psychiatric technician program or
advanced preparation in nursing, sociology and/or psychology with a
minimum of a B.S. preferred.
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Certified Nursing Assistant Certification or Basic EMT
Certification or Military Medic experience or Nursing Student with
completion of fundamental nursing clinical in RN program
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable HIPAA
regulations appropriate to Job Position including but not limited
to: paper and electronic medical records without limitation both
paper and electronic, patients demographics, lab and radiology
results, surgery/appointment schedules, medical records related to
quality/data, patient financial information, patients related
complaints, information related to patient location, and/or
patients religious beliefs.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable safety
practices appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to:
incident reporting, handles sharps, wastes and linens, PPE,
exposure control plan, environmental rounds to ensure safety,
identification of patients, transporting of patients, transporting
medications and blood, and monitoring clinical alarms.
Keywords: Baton Rouge General Medical Center, Baton Rouge , Mental Health Tech II - Psych Services PM, Healthcare , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!