Food Service Specialist - IDEA Innovation (Immediate Opening)
Company: IDEA Public Schools
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: September 8, 2023
Role Mission: The Food Service Specialist ensures that appropriate
quantities of food are prepared, portioned, and served to IDEA
students. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
cutting/chopping fruits & vegetables, following recipes, adhering
to established kitchen processes, monitoring of students during
meal periods (i.e. monitoring for appropriate behavior, encouraging
students to consume more fresh fruits & vegetables, no sharing of
food, etc.) and kitchen cleaning duties (sweeping, mopping, wiping
tables, washing dishes, disposing of trash).
What We Offer
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging
between $13.00 for 0 years of experience and $14.95
- This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on
team performance and goal attainment.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of
the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the
majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Some
of the special benefits we offer at IDEA include:
- Paid Family Leave: Eligible staff may receive up to 8 weeks of
paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child, based on their
tenure with the organization and caregiver designation.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Staff members may apply for up to 50% of
tuition paid toward a qualifying degree program, up to $5,250
maximum per year subject to manager discretion and budget
- Employer-Paid Mental/Behavioral Health: 5 face-to-face
counseling sessions within a year, unlimited 24/7 telephonic
counseling, and other work-life services available at no cost.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Professional Development:
We offer staff opportunities to engage in identity-based affinity
space and leadership training covering a variety of topics such as
culturally competent leadership, models of equity, mitigating bias,
Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life
insurance, parenting benefits, generous vacation time, referral
bonuses and professional development. IDEA may offer a relocation
allowance to defray the cost of moving for this role, if
What You BringCompetencies:
- Ability to understand food recipes, safe handling of food and
- Working knowledge of kitchen/food production procedures.
- Ability to operate kitchen equipment, tools, and utensils.
- Ability to perform basic math skill.
- Works well under pressure in a team setting.
- Ability to lift, bend, pull, push, twist.
- Education: High School Diploma Preferred but Not Required
- Experience: Food service or restaurant experience preferred,
but not required
- License or Certification: Food Handler's Permit (City of
What You'll Do - Accountabilities:
Possess an interest or passion for working with food
- Has a basic knowledge or can quickly learn of food production
- It all in one job-cooking, cleaning, restocking and resetting
the kitchen for next day
- Can meet the physical demands of the job (lifting, bending,,
- Has a basic knowledge of providing service to our customers
Understand how to read and execute recipes
- Must be able to handle working with medium to large equipment
(i.e. ovens, slicer, steamer, etc.)
- Have basic math skills that directly relate to portioning food
items in small trays
- Takes pride in food that is prepared and served to the
Can take direction and feedback well
- Things can change fast, must be able to adapt quickly in being
switched from serving food to washing dishes
- Can take feedback well, especially during mid-year and end of
- Can self-reflect and be honest with own performance, desire to
correct mistakes quickly
Can work around or with an academic calendar
- Extended periods of time where there is not work (i.e. Spring
Break, Summer Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break)
- During regular school days, 8 hours per day. Some overtime
- Depending on the campus, may need to work on Saturdays
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of
change: that all students are capable of getting to and through
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to
be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing
in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is
comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and
freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental
relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to
high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for
our colleagues and students
About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe each and every child can go to
college. Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small
school with 150 students to a multi-state network of tuition-free,
Pre-K-12 public charter schools.
IDEA Public Schools boasts national rankings on The Washington Post
and U.S. News & World Report's top high schools lists. IDEA serves
over 80,000 college-bound students in 143 schools across Texas,
Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, and is on-track to maintain its legacy of
sending 100% of its graduates to college.
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and
Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach
ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with
IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At IDEA we recognize that racism, bias, and privilege exist in
society. We are committed to an organizational culture that
promotes awareness and inclusivity for our students and staff and
supports their path to positively impact our broader society. We
are committed to recognizing the impact of racism and privilege,
and commit as an organization to have equitable practices,
policies, and structures. Visit https://ideapublicschools.org/dei/
to learn about IDEA's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Anti-Racist
and Anti-Bias commitment.
Please submit your application online through Jobvite. It's in your
best interest to apply as soon as possible.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or
access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and
activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the
organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title
VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA
Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.
Keywords: IDEA Public Schools, Baton Rouge , Food Service Specialist - IDEA Innovation (Immediate Opening), Hospitality & Tourism , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!