Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: May 24, 2023
If interested, please apply online at CrescentCare.org for
*POSITION SUMMARY *_(include key objectives, accomplishments or outcomes for the position)_:
The Legal Secretary position provides crucial support to the Baton Rouge office through processing intake mail, assisting with maintaining client communications, and office organization. The ideal candidate will be proactive, organized, and attentive to detail. The ability to work cooperatively in a team is essential. This position is responsible for providing full support to attorneys. Performs various functions to support the efforts of the office to serve clients. Duties include secretarial and clerical support to the office in areas such as preparing correspondence, transcribing dictation, editing and proofreading documents, maintaining attorneys calendars and case files, photocopying, various fiscal duties, and performing other tasks on a clients case permissible for non-attorneys working under the supervision of an attorney. Position requires working knowledge of legal terminology, word and information processing, understanding of State and Federal court rules and procedures,. Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) interrelating with clients, coalition partners, attorneys, and other parties. In addition to secretarial duties, this position is responsible for front desk telephone and reception duties. This position offers an excellent opportunity to learn about the litigation and legislative process and the legal issues affecting the LGBTQ community and people living with HIV.
*KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
Intake and receptionist duties, including but not limited to the following:Answer the phone, greet potential clients and visitors,
Handle incoming and outgoing mail, distribute mail and interoffice mail,
Maintain an ample supply of various forms needed for intake as required by federal regulations or firm policies.
Set appointments for intake and attorney-client interview. Keeps computerized appointment calendar and helps attorneys organize their time and cases.
Responsible for making sure that retainers and all other required forms are signed by every applicant.
Perform initial intake client interviews.
Eligibility screening of callers and client referrals for services.
Completing client intakes in CrescentCare Legal Services (CCLS)case management database, ensuring records are accurate;
Using CCLS case management database to enter case data, check for case conflicts, and assist in preparing grant reports;
Preparing and/or organizing case related documents;
Maintaining supplies and an organized workspace for the office
Prepares written correspondence/documents as directed by attorneys.
Operates/ maintains office machines, e.g., copier, computers, etc.
Maintains open client files, e.g., prepare files according to firm guidelines, file all incoming documents and/or correspondence and document all case activity in case management system.
Contacts clients, clerks of courts, judge's offices, opposing attorneys etc. as specifically directed by attorneys.
Participates in public awareness/outreach /education activities.
Makes sure that electronic recordings on office voice mail are accurate, for instance announcing that the office is closed for a holiday and changing the message back to the original.
Opens, closes and files case records for the office.
Performs routine and brief typing assignments as directed.
Keeps referral information up to date and organized for access by other staff members.
Keeps reception area presentable, insure comfortable, friendly atmosphere.
Maintains client confidentiality.
Compiles reports as directed.
Maintenance of statistical data for and input into the CAREWare databases.
Assist with audits and site visits
Assists others such as assigned attorneys in compiling reports.
Types his/her own work.
Keeps records on the computer of how their time is spent at work as required by agency policies and other regulations.
Assists attorneys with timekeeping recording as required.
Learns and applies all necessary computer skills for performing work, including, but not limited to:checks e-mail at least once daily.
communicates by e-mail.
performs word processing work.
retrieves and updates client database records as needed.
Performs any other duties deemed necessary to accomplish the goals of CrescentCare, as directed.
* Minimum High School graduate or equivalent.
* Two years experience in legal field or public education experience in community required. (Two years of course work in related fields beyond high school can be substituted for experience).
* Law office experience preferred.
*SKILLS & COMPETENCIES*
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
* Professional, friendly, courteous and sincerely interested in the client community.
* Knowledge of local client community.
* Familiarity with use of office machines.
* Typing 40 wpm
* Necessary technical skills to use electronic health record, incident reporting system, email, and other information systems.
* Excellent organizational skills
* Superior attention to detail
* Ability to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines
* Excellent time management skills
* Ability to work independently in a proactive manner
* Proficiency with computer and windows-based business software applications including Microsoft Office Suite
* Understanding of pertinent regulatory guidelines such as HIPAA
* Demonstrates customer service focus.
*ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS*
* Extended periods of sitting required.
* Work is primarily office based
* Physically able to participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings.
* Position requires light physical effort, frequent prolonged standing/walking, may occasionally require lifting of supplies/equipment, occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching.
* Must be willing to work a flexible schedule on an as needed basis and approved by supervisor.
* Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders, or off-site personnel/management.
*We Offer an Extensive Benefits Package*
* Paid Time-off: 11 Holidays, 10 Vacation days, and 6 Sick days
* Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
* 401(k) Plan with employer match up to 5%
* Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and Life Insurance
* Employee Assistance Program
* Employee Discount Program
* Employee Wellness Plan
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: In person
If interested, please apply online at CrescentCare.org for
Keywords: CrescentCare, Baton Rouge , Legal Secretary, Legal , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
here to apply!