Company: Capital City Press
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Job Description Title: Reel TenderDepartment: PressroomReports
to: Pressroom Supervisor General Summary of Position: The Reel
Tender is responsible for loading rolls of newsprint for the press
and to ensure a break-free production run. Primary Responsibilities
and Essential Duties: A: Pre press run
- Reviews layout sheet for current run, sets reel arms for
correct width according to information on layout sheet using the
touch screen on the reel, and checks press to make sure it is set
- Strips cover off paper using ripper to remove the cardboard
wrapper from around the rolls, places metal tape on paper and
brings paper to the reel on a cart.
- Puts reel in the reel tender, manually spinning the reel to
make sure the roll is properly made up and that the backing on the
paster tape is pulled.
- Pulls sticker off paper roll and gives to Newsprint/Layout
Clerk so it can be scanned for inventory purposes. Verifies that
the number printed on the side of the roll in that particular reel
matches the number printed on the sticker. B: Press run
- Pulls paper reel report to verify that the reels being used
have been removed from inventory control system.
- Dumps waste paper into waste trailer using forklift. Sweeps the
stripper area, and dumps all cardboard into compactor to ensure a
clean pressroom, free of safety concerns.
- Ensures the press has enough paper rolls at all times so
production remains uninterrupted. C: Post run
- Sets up production run for the morning shift so they can
complete their job in a timely manner
- Removes all cores from the core bin that is located between
each reel and places in the core rack. D: Other
- Performs other duties as directed by supervisor Education,
Experience, and Knowledge Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Good knowledge of production processes
- Some mechanical knowledge of machines and tools, including
their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance. Skill Requirements:
- Excellent time management – managing one's own time and the
time of others.
- Excellent judgment and decision making – considering the
relative cost and benefits of potential actions to choose the most
- Monitoring – monitoring/assessing performance of current
procedures, other individuals, or organizations to make
improvements or take corrective actions.
- Operation and Control – controlling operations of equipment or
systems. Ability Requirements:
- Ability to operate clamp truck and forklifts
- Near Vision – The ability to see details at close range (within
a few feet of the observer).
- Ability to work effectively with coworkers and others.
- Ability to read and understand press layouts.
- Ability to read and interpret manuals for machines and
- Finger Dexterity - Ability to make coordinated movements of the
fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble
- Manual dexterity - Ability to quickly move your hand, your hand
together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or
assemble objects. Physical Requirements (sensory acuity)
- The job requires the following demands daily: Hear normal
conversation, have accurate color vision (ability to identify and
distinguish colors), speak clearly so someone else can understand
what you say.
- The job requires the following demands once or twice a week:
see nearby objects (clear vision at 20 inches or less), see distant
objects (clear vision at 20 feet or more), have accurate depth
perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances
and spatial relationships)
- The job requires the following demands less than once a week:
hear faint sounds, signals, etc. Physical Requirements
(coordination, dexterity and strength):
- The job requires the following physical demands daily:
Balancing, feeling, standing, and walking
- The job requires the following physical demands more than once
or twice a week: sitting and rapid working speed. Work Environment:
- Uses a clap truck and forklift for paper rolls
- More than once or twice a week: Loud noise (up to 80 dB or
louder), mechanical hazards (e.g., exposed gears, pulleys, and
other moving equipment)
- Once or twice a week: Caustics
Keywords: Capital City Press, Baton Rouge , Reel Tender, Other , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!