Company: PQ Corporation
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: May 4, 2021
For almost 200 years, PQ Corporation has envisioned the future
of performance materials, chemicals and catalysts through
collaborative innovation, making products that touch all of us,
- Cleaner Emissions - Our Catalysts and Refining Services
products and solutions help companies produce vehicles with
improved fuel efficiency and cleaner emissions.
- Safer Travels - We produce highly engineered Performance
Materials that help make highways and airports safer for drivers,
pedestrians, pilots and passengers
- Better Care - Our products are critical ingredients in consumer
applications that help make teeth brighter and skin softer
- Carbon-Free - With inorganic and carbon-free products, we
contribute to improving the sustainability of our planet.We are a
leading global provider of specialty catalysts, materials,
chemicals, and services that enable environmental improvements,
enhance consumer products, and increase personal safety. Our
Refining Services Division, Eco Services, is searching for two
Production Engineers for our Baton Rouge, LA Location. We are not
offering visa sponsorship or relocation for this role at this time.
The role responsibilities include, but are not limited to the
- Applies engineering principles to design, modify, or develop
facilities, testing, machines, equipment or processes used in
processing Sulfuric Acid in a regeneration sulfuric acid unit.
- Maintain daily Overall Equipment Efficiency (OEE) performance
data for the operating unit via spreadsheet and reports.
- Analyzes existing acid process, equipment, and performance to
determine optimal plant operations.
- Utilize OSI PI software to diagnose plant problems and enhance
unit performance improvements.
- Maintain up-to-date SUMO data for the Unit. (SUMO = Performance
data that determines overall plant "well being" with respect to
plant rate and efficiency of process equipment. Issue reports as
- Utilize technical information concerning manufacturing or
processing techniques, materials, properties, and process
advantages and limitations to improve long-range improvements in
- Completes small capital project scope development and execution
of small projects (BCER
- Develops and implements project activities through the
coordination of efforts of subcontractors, maintenance, production
departments, and other operational personnel. Perform Scope
activities which include, design, design review, establishes
timeline, material procurement, resource allocation, project
execution, coordinate effort between all involved parties,
monitor/track progress to ensure adherence to schedule. Attend
status meetings to ensure safety, and quality compliance.
- Develop plant skills and knowledge of the Regen sulfuric acid
process in order to actively participate and direct meetings to
drive Unit goals - Leadership team meetings, SUMO Audits, and other
- Tracks procedure and process changes utilizing Management of
Change form (MOC) to document the coordination and communication to
appropriate personnel as to the stages of implementation till
- Utilize interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with
and actively involve Unit 1 operators in projects and unit testing
to drive improvement in plant performance.
- Participate in Unit HAZOPS and follow-up action items as
required to mitigate risks in the unit from the PHA.
- Maintain Unit Safety File updates relative to the MOC process
and procedure. Maintain good PSM standards in the unit.
- Participate in incident investigations and follow-up action
items from incidents. This involves tasks such as chemical leak
calculations and engineering corrective actions.
- Performs equipment inspections during turnaround and shutdown
activity and documents findings in equipment specific turnaround
- Utilizes knowledge of equipment and machine capabilities to
develop action plan to increase the reliability of the unit.
Recognizes problems and opportunities to formulate action
plan(s)for obtaining/surpassing unit standards and achieving
production and quality goals.
- Compiles monthly / weekly reports as needed. An example of this
is the weekly OEE report to management on status of the unit.
- Provides support to operations personnel to troubleshoot
day-to-day activities in the unit, and work closely with the Unit
Operators and Unit Manager to effectively troubleshoot plant
- Provides support during absence of production manager as
- Act as a steward for maintaining excellent HSSE performance in
the unit - fulfill the HSSE Leadership Expectations.
- Develops appropriate safety training for personnel regarding
changes in procedures, and accountability.
- Review all incidents in Incident/accident database and Safety
- Confers with water treatment vendor on a regular basis to
ensure cooling tower, boiler feed water chemistries are properly
- Works diligently to reduce variable expenditures of plant,
primarily natural gas & caustic consumption.
- Champion WCM for the unit involving labeling of equipment and
other visual management improvements.
- Works with other units to ensure plant goals are met safely and
- Hold all employees accountable; including my peers, hourly
employees, engineers and myself
- Order raw materials (chlorine, etc.)
- Incident report processing
- Work with operators to keep all SOPs, EOPs, and COPs
- Work with contractors and engineers in the unit; be involved in
the projects as needed.
- Housekeeping audits, weekly and have operators take care of any
- Update operators daily instructions for needed guidelines to
operate the unit
- Attend 8:30 AM productions meeting and provide unit status.
Communicate with loading area, TS, IFS, and customers as needed.
Stay aware of and communicate as necessary, how unit operations
will impact all other plant areas
- Work with unit manger to improve unit operations (efficiency,
safety, costs, throughput)
- Be professional and ethical at all times and treat employees,
contractors and customers respectfully.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by unit manager.Health and
Safety and Environmental Responsibilities include, but are not
limited to the following:
- Reviews and discusses safety incident occurrences on the
electronic incident database (Manufacturing Solutions) within the
- Addresses current safety issues brought forth by unit personnel
in the safety concern database.
- Provide technical support for safety resolutions as needed
(i.e. Technical Design, What if, PSSR, MOC, SOP---).
- Assists in development of the safety training within the
department and for MOC and unit specific items.
- Attends causal tree investigation meeting for accident/incident
- Conducts environmental testing, interprets data, and modifies
process to ensure compliance.
- Conducts environmental release calculations for gases and
liquids for unit.
- Issue safe work permits including gas testing.
- Attends monthly and quarterly safety meetings.
- Participate in HAZOP studies for area.
- Enforce all plant policies and procedures.
- Conduct engineering and unit meetings as required and drive
- Stay current on all plant required training and requirements
(i.e. TWIC, Safe Start---)
- Inspects and monitors outfall ground water, environmental, gas
leaks and housekeeping within the unit & Waste Water Treatment
- Conduct and/or attends toolbox safety meeting to address safety
and environmental concerns and incidents as well as current safety
performance in unit. Addresses current safety issues brought forth
by unit personnel
- Completes computer-based training to comply with HSE
requirements and policies. Education and Job Requirements:
- 2 to 5 years in chemical processing
- Engineering Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from four-year college or
university; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
(Chemical Engineering is preferred)
- An equivalent combination of education and experience
- Transportation Worker's Identification Credentials (TWIC)
Keywords: PQ Corporation, Baton Rouge , Production Engineer, Professions , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!