Director of Backhaul & Freight
Company: Associated Grocers, Inc.
Location: Baton Rouge
Posted on: September 17, 2023
The Director of Backhaul & Freight plays a crucial role in
overseeing and managing the backhaul and freight operations of a
company. This position requires strong leadership, strategic
thinking, and in-depth knowledge of logistics and supply chain
management. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the
following. Other duties may be assigned.
- -Strategic Planning: Develop and implement strategic plans to
optimize backhaul and freight operations, aligning them with the
company's overall goals and objectives.
- -Backhaul Optimization: Identify opportunities to maximize
backhaul utilization and minimize empty miles by developing
efficient routing strategies and collaborating with internal teams,
carriers, and logistics providers.
- Freight Management : Oversee the transportation of goods,
ensuring timely and cost-effective movement of products from origin
to destination. This includes coordinating with carriers,
negotiating rates, and monitoring performance to ensure compliance
with service level agreements.
- Vendor Management : Build and maintain relationships with
carriers, freight brokers, and other logistics partners to secure
capacity, negotiate contracts, and manage ongoing performance.
Evaluate vendor performance regularly and implement improvement
plans when necessary.
- Cost Management : Develop and execute strategies to optimize
transportation costs, such as negotiating favorable rates,
implementing efficient freight consolidation practices, and
leveraging technology solutions.
- Compliance and Risk Management: Ensure compliance with
transportation regulations, safety standards, and industry best
practices. Mitigate risks associated with freight operations, such
as insurance coverage, claims management, and driver safety.
- Team Leadership : Build and lead a high-performing team,
providing guidance, mentorship, and training to ensure the
professional growth and success of team members. Foster a
collaborative and inclusive work environment.
- Performance Analysis and Reporting : Establish key performance
indicators (KPIs) to measure and track the efficiency and
effectiveness of backhaul and freight operations. Generate regular
reports and analyze data to identify trends, areas for improvement,
and cost-saving opportunities.
- Continuous Improvement : Identify and implement process
enhancements and innovative solutions to streamline operations,
reduce costs, and enhance customer satisfaction.
- Collaboration: Collaborate cross-functionally with internal
stakeholders, including procurement, sales, operations, and
customer service teams, to align transportation strategies with
overall business objectives. Qualifications To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. Education and/or
Experience: Bachelor's degree in logistics, supply chain
management, or a related field (advanced degree preferred). Proven
experience (2+ years) in transportation, logistics, or supply chain
management, with a focus on backhaul and freight operations.
-Skills & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of transportation industry regulations,
compliance standards, and best practices. Including but not limited
DOT Compliance and IFTA.
- Excellent leadership and team management skills, with the
ability to motivate and develop a high-performing team.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to use data-driven insights
to make informed decisions and drive process improvements.
- Strong negotiation and vendor management skills to establish
and maintain effective relationships with carriers and logistics
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to
collaborate effectively with internal teams and external
- Proficiency in using transportation management systems (TMS),
enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, and other relevant
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic
environment and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Flexibility to travel occasionally for vendor visits, industry
conferences, or other business-related purposes. Language Skills
- Fluent Verbal Communication : The ability to articulate ideas,
provide clear instructions, and communicate effectively with team
members, vendors, and stakeholders is crucial. This includes being
able to convey complex logistics concepts in a concise and
- Written Communication: Strong written communication skills are
important for composing professional emails, reports, and other
written correspondence. Directors need to be able to convey
information accurately and effectively, whether it's drafting
transportation agreements, performance reports, or memos.
- Rate Calculations : Directors need to assess and negotiate
transportation rates with carriers and logistics providers.
Understanding rate structures, calculating costs per mile, and
analyzing rate proposals can be important in making informed
decisions and ensuring competitive pricing.
- Data Analysis: Directors of Backhaul & Freight often work with
large amounts of data, including transportation costs, performance
metrics, and inventory levels. Strong data analysis skills,
including proficiency in Excel or other analytical tools, can help
in identifying trends, patterns, and areas for improvement.
- Financial Analysis : Understanding financial metrics and
performing cost-benefit analyses are important for assessing the
financial impact of transportation decisions. This includes
calculating total costs, analyzing cost structures, evaluating
return on investment (ROI), and conducting financial feasibility
studies. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations Must have a valid
driver's license with an appropriate motor vehicle record. Computer
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS ): Proficiency in using
TMS software is crucial for managing transportation operations
efficiently. Directors should be familiar with different TMS
platforms, their features, and how to leverage them to streamline
processes, track shipments, manage carriers, and generate
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems : Familiarity with
ERP systems/software to integrate various functions, including
logistics and supply chain management.
- Geographic Information System (GIS) Software: GIS software,
such as ArcGIS or Google Earth, can be useful for visualizing and
analyzing transportation routes, optimizing logistics networks, and
identifying areas for improvement based on geographical data.
Keywords: Associated Grocers, Inc., Baton Rouge , Director of Backhaul & Freight, Professions , Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!